Friday, December 19, 2008

On Christmas Cheer

It happens this way every year. And it's a rather familiar experience for me. Okay, I'm out shopping (yes, I actually do!). I go through the checkout line. I pay for my stuff (good thing to do, by the way). And when the cashier hands me back the change (if I actually get any money back), they’ll say “Happy holidays,” or perhaps even “Merry Christmas.”

Now I am smart enough to know that this comment is not actually always motivated by the cashier’s genuine interest in whether or not I enjoy my holiday. I doubt they really care about that in the end. In fact, I am fully aware that they are probably saying this because they’ve been coached to say it. After all, it is Christmas, you know. Oh, I can just seen that memo from Wal-Mart corporate headquarters directing cashiers when to switch from “Have a nice day” to “Happy Holidays.” It's all on the assumption that this will somehow help cement a lasting bond between the store and the customer that won’t evaporate when a Target opens across the street.

Now I must admit that I'm quite suspicious of the whole business. But I feel really good to know that at least once every year, I have a cashier who looks me in the eye and says “Merry Christmas,” and really means it. And, believe it or not, it changes my whole day.

I really do think that there is something genuine to this whole idea of Christmas cheer. As December 25th draws near, it seems that people warm up just a bit. If you’re out and around on Christmas Eve (hopefully you're not starting your Christmas shopping that night), you’ll notice that people seem to be a little friendlier than on any other day of the year.

I sort of think that people like to warm up a bit when they are mindful of the Christ child’s birth. People make an extra effort to practice the virtues the angels sing of - “peace on earth, goodwill towards men.”

But have you ever wondered why it is that we notice this at Christmas? Why does this surge in warmheartedness stand out? Could it be that, despite our best intentions, good will towards men can easily become a seasonal event rather than a standing policy? I wonder.

When Christ entered our world, he didn’t come to brighten our Decembers, but to transform our lives. It can be hard work to practice good will towards one another. Take a look at what's going on around us. This is a hard, tough world, and it seems there's not a whole lot of kindness going on - or at least if it is, it's not getting the nightly news coverage, is it?

Take a moment to think about the Gospel accounts of Jesus' ministry. They provide the blueprint for loving our neighbor in a busy and complicated neighborhood. Christ made a point of seeking out the broken and disenfranchised people of his day - the lepers, prostitutes and tax collectors - and he saw the value in each one of them. And in so doing, He helped them recognize the value in themselves.

I think that at this Christmas season, it's a good time for us to recognize that just as faith is a decision, good will towards people is a series of decisions that work themselves out not in temporary holiday cheer, but in the details of everyday life.

Try some Christmas cheer.

No comments: