Sunday, March 9, 2014

Living Life Over Again

A long-time friend and ministry colleague of mine by the name of Rex Bullock is speaker and president of Dayspring Ministries (dayspringradio.com). He also has a blog that I enjoy reading when it comes along. Today, he posted a great piece that I share with you here. It's some great food for thought. And it struck all my heart strings as I sat in my Lazy-Boy chair, just taking some time to journal and reflect on the goodness of the Lord in my life. Rex's blog (rexbullock.blogspot.com) was words fitly written on a quiet Sunday afternoon after two worship services of preaching on how Jesus calls us to an "Upside Down" way of life - a different way to live. In the church I pastor, we are exploring this theme from the Beatitudes found in the opening recorded words of Jesus' Sermon on the Mount. And yes, I let him know I would use it here on my blog!

Years  ago I read the testimony of an anonymous friar in a Nebraska monastery. His words didn't make much impact on me then, but at this point in my life they make great sense and I'm trying to take them to heart. This is not what you would expect in a "religious testimony"... Maybe that's why I appreciate it so much.

"If I had my life to live over again,
I'd try to make more mistakes next time.
I would relax, I would limber up, I would be sillier than I have been this trip.
I know of very few things I would take seriously. I would take more trips. I would be crazier. I would climb more mountains, swim more rivers, and watch more sunsets. 

I would do more walking and looking. 
I would eat more ice cream and less beans. 
I would have more actual troubles, and fewer imaginary ones. 

You see, I'm one of those people who lives sensibly hour after hour, day after day. Oh, I've had my moments, and if I had to do it over again I'd have more of them. In fact, I'd try to have nothing else, just moments, one after another, instead of living so many years ahead each day. 
I've been one of those people who never go anywhere without a thermometer, a hot-water bottle, a gargle, a raincoat, aspirin, and a parachute. 

If I had it to do over again I would go places, do things and travel lighter than I have. 

If I had my life to live over I would start barefooted earlier in the Spring and stay that way later in the Fall .
I would play hookey more.

I wouldn't make such good grades, except by accident. 

I would ride more merry-go-rounds. I would pick more daisies."

And in Rex's words: It's fairly safe to say, this old gentleman had his fill of stress. He realized that to break its spell one has to break the mold of a rat-race life-style. May his tribe increase. 
______________
How about you? What's your life lessons learned about living life over again? 


No comments: