Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Fan or Follower of Jesus?

I've seen the book on the bookshelf for quite some time. I must admit that I was really struck by the title. not a fan. What's that about?

There are so many new titles that I want to read. Actually, I knew that I had several books on my desk that I needed to read. I really thought I didn't have time to read another one. But it was the title that kept grabbing my attention. I thought I would just dip into Kyle Idleman’s Not a Fan just to get a feel for it. That I did. And it created a stir that that I can't escape. So much so, that it's now turned into a new Lenten sermon series to preach at the church I pastor.

You've seen it just like I have. Signs with John 3:16 plastered everywhere. And while it’s a beautiful and classic statement of what God has done through his Son, we should do some musing as to why we don’t have the same level of attention given to a classic text like Luke 9:23: “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily and follow me.” Of course to ask the question is to answer it. John 3:16 is a wonderful, comforting and affirming statement whereas Luke 9:23 doesn't produce such a nice comfortable feeling inside. It makes a person think at a different spiritual level.

And maybe it's just what’s needed to sift out the followers from the fans, right along with some of the other questions and statements that Kyle makes:  

There’s no comfortable way to carry a cross.  
When is the last time following Jesus cost you something?
We are by nature comfort seekers, not cross bearers.  
Jesus makes it clear that the road you take when you follow him is called “The Via Dolarosa.”
Jesus didn’t come to this earth so that you would be better behaved or to tweak your personality or to fine-tune your manners or smooth out your rough spots. Jesus didn’t come to this earth to change you. The truth of the gospel is that Jesus came so that you could die.

I must say that this is not exactly the Snuggies stuff. More like sackcloth. But then, maybe sackcloth needs to make a comeback in our lives and our churches. 

And if you are wondering how a “fan” versus a "follower" of Jesus is defined, let me close with just a sample look:  

It’s the guy who goes to the football game with no shirt and a painted chest. He sits in the stands and cheers for his team. He’s got a signed jersey hanging on his wall at home and multiple bumper stickers on the back of his car. But he’s never in the game. He never breaks a sweat or takes a hard hit in the open field. He knows all about the players and can rattle off their latest stats, but he doesn’t know the players. He yells and cheers, but nothing is really required of him. There is no sacrifice he has to make. And the truth is, as excited as he seems, if the team he’s cheering for starts to let him down and has a few off seasons, his passion will wane pretty quickly. After several losing seasons you can expect him to jump off the fan wagon and begin cheering for some other team. He is an enthusiastic admirer.

Fan or follower. “Are you a follower of Jesus?” I like it that Kyle quickly clarified that he is not asking:  

Do you go to church? 
Are your parents or grandparents Christians? 
Did you raise your hand at the end of a sermon one time? 
Did you repeat a prayer after a preacher? 
Did you walk forward during a twelve-minute version of “Just As I Am”? 
Do you own three or more Bibles? 
Have you ever appeared in a church directory? 
Did you grow up going to VBS and/or church camp? 
Is your ringtone a worship song? 
When you pray are you able to utilize five or more synonyms for God? 
I can keep going. Seriously, I can.
Have you ever worn “Witness Wear”? 
Do you think the KJV is the only real version of the Bible? 
Have you ever kissed dating good-bye? 
Under “religious views” does your Facebook page say, “Christ follower”? 
Did you dog Harry Potter and rave about Lord of the Rings? 
Did you get a purpose driven life in 40 days or less? 
Do you say, “Bless your heart” before speaking badly about someone? 
Do you understand phrases like “traveling mercies” and “sword drill”?

Here’s the real point: many of us are quick to say, “Yes, I’m a follower of Jesus,” but I’m not sure we really understand what we are saying. To quote Inigo Montoya: “I do not think that means what you think it means.”

I must admit that it makes a whole lot of us squirm. Not a fan of Jesus. But a follower of Jesus. Jesus is looking for disciples, that is, completely. committed. followers. Jesus never cared about having fans. What He really wanted - and still wants - is followers.So, what are you?

No comments: