Friday, November 14, 2008

Just Thinking About What I've Learned

As long as I can remember, my dear mom has always preached to me about praying for wisdom, direction and discernment. When I moved away for the first time on a big trip to the Northwest to my first pastoral assignment, she was good about sending me letters or calling. As best I can remember (after all I am 50 now), every time we'd talk she'd tell me she loved me, she was praying for me and then would sign off with these words, "And, don't forget to pray for wisdom. I love you." Well, now I know she's a wise woman (in more ways than one) and she knew that true wisdom never stops learning. As I have aged (yes, I am doing that slowly), I've learned wisdom does come from God (remember James 1:5?) and it also comes from life. Experience is a great teacher and true wisdom arises from vulnerability. So, I just got to thinking (not long after my 50th birthday this year!) and here are some things I learned about life after looking back...
  • I learned that when you need to go to the bathroom at school, you need to ask the teacher, so you don't have to walk home backwards so no one will see the mess you made in your pants. (Age 5)
  • I learned that when you wave at people, they'll wave back. (Age 6)
  • I learned that my Mom and Dad are the smartest people in the world. (Age 7)
  • I learned that when you smile at people, they don't always smile back, but you should still be nice and smile anyway. (Age 8)
  • I learned you can't lie about shooting your brother with a bb-gun in the butt and get away with it. (Age 9)
  • I learned when you shoot a bb-gun in the house, mom will always find out. (Age 11)
  • I learned that just when I got my room the way I like it, my Mom made me clean it up. (Age 12)
  • I learned that when you turn to be a teenager you are the smartest person in the whole wide world. (Age 13)
  • I learned that my Mom and Dad weren't as smart as I thought they were. (Age 14)
  • I learned that my Mom and Dad don't have a clue about life. (Age 16)
  • I learned that I was secretly glad that my parents were hard on me and encouraged me to keep going in the right direction. (Age 17)
  • I learned that my Mom and Dad need me if they are to actually survive in this world. (Age 18)
  • I learned that you can't make someone love you. All you can do is be someone who can be loved. The rest is up to them. (Age 20)
  • I learned that once again my Mom and Dad are the smartest and wisest people in the world. (Age 21)
  • I learned that all those things I thought I knew about family, ministry, and life weren't quite like the books told me they were in college. (Age 22)
  • I learned that my dad is incredibly wise and should be sought for advice in every big decision that comes. (Age 23)
  • I learned that no matter how bad your heart is broken the world doesn't stop for your grief. (Age 23)
  • I learned that having kids is cool and a lot of work. (Age 24)
  • I learned that people are interested in learning about God when I tell them how much He loves them. (Age 25)
  • I learned that wherever I go, the world's worst drivers have followed me there. (Age 26)
  • I learned that moving from one end of the country to the next wasn't all that exciting. (Age 27)
  • I learned that playing catch in the backyard with my sons is one of life's greatest pleasures. (Age 29)
  • I learned that you can get by on charm for about 15 minutes. After that, you'd better know something. (Age 30)
  • I learned that you can tell a lot about a man's true character by the way he handles these three things: tangled Christmas lights, a bad call at his kid's athletic event and how he talks about his wife when she's not around. (Age 33)
  • I learned that making a living and making a life are two different things. (Age 35)
  • I learned that life gives you a second chance when bad things happen. (Age 37)
  • I learned the value of sharing a touch and that everyday you should hold some one's hand, share a hug or a friendly pat on the back. (Age 39)
  • I learned that our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become.(Age 40)
  • I learned that I still have a lot to learn. (Age 41)
  • I learned that it's not what you have in your life but who you have in your life that counts. (age 44)
  • I learned that whatever road of your life gets broken you can carry on, whatever bridge is shattered the river still flows, whatever dream is destroyed you can make a new one and as long as your children are okay and you have food on the table, clothes on your back, a roof over your head, and God on your side of life, little else really matters. (age 45)
  • I learned that a sweet, brown haired, hazel-eyed girl named Diana could rock my world! (age 46)
  • I learned that it's not what happens to people that's important. It's what they do about it. (age 47)
  • I learned that maturity has more to do with what types of experiences you've had and what you've learned from them and less to do with how many birthdays you've celebrated. (age 48)
  • I learned that it's taking me a long time to become the person I want to be. (Age 49)
  • I learned that, indeed, there is life after 50. In the words of the immortal voice of Martin Luther (my version), "Here I am, I can do no other." (Age 50)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Terry, you've had a full, eventful life. Many good times, and bad, I know. Exultant times and heart-breaking experiences. But you have kept your trust in God, and persevered. I know your mom and dad had a great part in instilling a trust in God in you that brought you through. I know that in these last days that God has a lot more for you to experience and to be an encouragement for others.

God bless you richly,

Your cousin and brother in Christ Jesus, Ward